Cosplay Rules & Regulations
Pop Culture Convention is a family-friendly event. Please be courteous of others and be aware of your surroundings.
- Costumes must adhere to the convention cosplay guidelines
- Commissioned costumes are not allowed; the costume must be made by the contestant.
- Contestants must be a pass-holding attendee.
- A cosplay that was previously won an award cannot be entered.
- Original characters are not allowed as contest entries.
- A digital portfolio must be submitted with an application. It must include reference pictures and work-in-progress photos with brief descriptions. As a rule of thumb, a Novice’s portfolio should have at least 5 WIP photos, and higher levels should be more in-depth with more pictures
- Spots are first-come-first-serve. If pre-registration is filled before the event, there will be no at-event sign-ups
- Groups are considered 1 entry. To make sure appointments don’t go over time, please provide a more in-depth portfolio.
- A group must enter at the highest level of the group. For example, if one contestant is a Master and two are Novices, they enter at the Master level.
- If there are open spots left, day-of registrations must still provide reference photos and WIP pictures to their pre-judging appointment and sign up for an open timeslot.
- If a contestant does not show up for their assigned timeslot, they will be placed at the next available one IF THERE IS AN OPENING. After missing a second timeslot, the entry is no longer valid.
- Be 10 minutes early to your appointment in case of no-shows.
- If a contestant misses the rehearsal, the entry is no longer valid.
- Performances and cosplay must be appropriate and not cause risk to others. Be safe and be smart.
What to Expect at the Contest
Available online until April 25, 2020, at Noon MDT.
Contest pre-judging will be Friday, 11–3p and Saturday, 11–1p. This will be by appointment. The schedule will be emailed to all the contestants a month before the convention.
Our three judges will grade according to certain aspects, such as craftsmanship, stage presence, and so forth.
For ages 12 and under.
Contestants who have never won an award from a cosplay contest.
Contestants who have won 1 to 2 awards from a cosplay contest.
Contestants who have won 3 or more awards from a cosplay contest.
For the contestant who owns the stage and their character; any level can achieve this award.
70% of the cosplay is altered/repurposed thrift/second-hand items with at least one item made by the contestant.
This award is granted by the judges, based on their criteria.